Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » need to restore dmp file into 9i (9i on Win2k, cannot get imp command to recognize)
need to restore dmp file into 9i [message #273832] Thu, 11 October 2007 18:12 Go to next message
thedotora
I do SQL infrequently, but have a fairly advanced topic (so please be gentle in your detailed replies :)

I have a 9i .dmp file that I need to restore into 9i on Win2k. Standalone laptop, no other/previous Oracle installs, simple db install, no customizations. I need to extract the schema names from the dmp file(which were not provided to me) and for corporate customer demo purposes, and use the same ones. 2 issues:

1) I am logged into my only Oracle instance system (as normal) and cannot get even the imp command to work.

From other posts I have ascertained that I have to do similar to:
--- ----------------------------
imp userid=System/Password_at_SID show=y full=y file="<filename.dmp>" grants=no log="<filename.log>"
--- ----------------------------

I am unable to get past 'imp'. imp help=y gets me nothing because it still fails on imp with message "SP2-0042: unknown command "imp" - rest of line ignored."

Advice? Do I need to set system parameters in Oracle to get imp to work?

2) Also seeking advice on the restore command in general. Once I know the schemas, I plan to build them into Oracle and use them to restore the complete contents of the .dmp file. Got syntax?

Hard to figure out since I can't get past imp or get to its help. I'm not great at wading through help for syntax anyway so anything is helpful. Tips before I trip on something else? Thanks.
Re: need to restore dmp file into 9i [message #273835 is a reply to message #273832] Thu, 11 October 2007 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
imp is a command line utility & must be executed from a "command"/terminal window (a.k.a DOS prompt).
The database must be up & online for imp to work properly.
Re: need to restore dmp file into 9i [message #273838 is a reply to message #273835] Thu, 11 October 2007 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thedotora
OOOOOooooooooh. Small but important detail for one who clearly doesn't do this regularly. The good news is I got my imp syntax right the first time and got message:

"Import terminated successfully without warnings" and the log was produced.

Thanks for the quick reply~! Cheers.
Re: need to restore dmp file into 9i [message #273839 is a reply to message #273838] Thu, 11 October 2007 20:09 Go to previous message
thedotora
AND... I got my import done successfully on the first try. Thanks again.
Previous Topic: SQLLDR
Next Topic: Rollback in Sql * loader
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 28 15:36:00 CDT 2024