Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Coping a Oracle 10g database to another place
Coping a Oracle 10g database to another place [message #242252] Fri, 01 June 2007 05:47 Go to next message
majstoru
Hi,

I'm new in Oracle world, and I was read some whitepapers about transfering database, but I have just one simple question for experts.

I need to "copy" database from my work office into my home computer which is around 2GB and I'm using a lot off unicode in my application, so if I just export and import data it will be nightmare, so which is easiest model to "copy" all data from office to home to continue development?

I'm using Oracle 10q XE!

Thanks in advance... Embarassed
Re: Coping a Oracle 10g database to another place [message #242260 is a reply to message #242252] Fri, 01 June 2007 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Export and import utilities are designed for such a purpose - moving data around. So, why would using them be a nightmare? If you are talking about NLS settings, perhaps you could (re)create your home database in order to make it same as the database at work.
Re: Coping a Oracle 10g database to another place [message #242265 is a reply to message #242252] Fri, 01 June 2007 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
majstoru
Hi Littlefoot,

Export/Import data is not a problem, I have large database so I think if is some another way to trasfer metadata and data from database from office and with that data to continue to work at home during the weekend (for exaple).

I'm using Firebird for my earlier IS and I just need to copy fdb file which is represent database at all, so I don't think that Oracle give to us some solution to just copy oradata directory, but I'm looking for a easiest way for that.

Exporting and Importing data somethimes take 1 - 1,5 hour and somethimes I lost some unicodes from my real data into database!

Thanks a lot, again!
Re: Coping a Oracle 10g database to another place [message #242405 is a reply to message #242265] Fri, 01 June 2007 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
OK, but does data change THAT MUCH that you have to move it around? I believe you are a developer. So, why wouldn't you take home only the code you have changed last week (procedures, packages, triggers and similar) and run them against "old" data?

Also, I suppose your code doesn't affect ALL of the tables. So, export/import only those tables which have changed (if necessary).
Re: Coping a Oracle 10g database to another place [message #242488 is a reply to message #242252] Sat, 02 June 2007 12:45 Go to previous message
majstoru
Thanks, for help!

I would like to develop on real data, but yours idea is not bad!
Previous Topic: HELP!!! Need a script to start and stop
Next Topic: Unable to Install Developer 2000 -Help!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:43:26 CDT 2024