Home » RDBMS Server » Security » User Self Registration Force Password Change Issue
User Self Registration Force Password Change Issue [message #231297] Mon, 16 April 2007 05:37 Go to next message
chillindan
I am trying to write a module that will allow a user to self register for Portal and then log them in and redirect them to the home page.

The logic works like this

User submits self registration form
User is created in OID
User is created in CRM system via web services returning a unique id (pvkey)
User is modified in OID and pvkey added to the employeenumber attribute
User is redirected to the homepage after first being authenticated by the SSO

This all works fine until you turn on the pwdMustChange option so that any new users created by admin are forced to change their password on first login. What happens once this option is enabled is that an exception is thrown when you try and modify the users employeenumber attribute using the dbms_ldap api.

The problem is that when I attempt to bind to the directory as the user it identifies that this is the users first login and throws the exception. I had thought there must be a way around this and have tried creating the user with a standard password and then binding to the directory and modifying the users password to the one they selected, but the exception is still thrown.

In the latest release of OID (10.1.4) you can have multiple password policies per realm which would solve our problem as we could have one for user created by admin and one for users who self register, but sadly we are using 10.1.2 and dont have this option available.

Has anyone come across this problem before, or have any idea how I might be able to get around it?

Many thanks.

Danny
Re: User Self Registration Force Password Change Issue [message #231523 is a reply to message #231297] Tue, 17 April 2007 07:12 Go to previous message
chillindan
Hi,

Okay problem solved. What I have done is to create the user with a standard password and then login as that user and change the password using dbms_ldap to the password they selected. I then go on and make the other changes and login to sso.

Have tested this with the pwdMustChange option turned on and it works a treat!
Previous Topic: OS Audit
Next Topic: how to change the internal user passowrd
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:31:11 CDT 2024