Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Full Import to new database
Full Import to new database [message #220404] Tue, 20 February 2007 10:01 Go to next message
Seismo
Hey guys.
I've been a DBA for a particular product that my company develops for a few years now.
Whenever I we need to create a test database, I usually just build a new blank database, create the two schemas that we use and import those two schemas (fromuser=,touser=) from the production export file.
I'm moving to a new product now and there are many users that I need to import so a user-based import is not practical.
I've never done a full import, though.
I assume that I create an empty database without running any of the dictionary scripts (catalog.sql, catproc.sql, catexp.sql, pupbld.sql) and then just "imp user/pw file=file.dmp full=y"

Does this sound correct?
Re: Full Import to new database [message #220408 is a reply to message #220404] Tue, 20 February 2007 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,
YOu should use BACKUP AND RECOVERY method for above condition.

consider RMAN duplicate option.
or
take cold backup and recovery through cold backup on new database.

or
create parfile ( OWNER = ) for how many user you want to export.

regards
Taj

Re: Full Import to new database [message #220409 is a reply to message #220404] Tue, 20 February 2007 10:28 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>I assume that I create an empty database without running any of the dictionary scripts (catalog.sql, catproc.sql, catexp.sql, pupbld.sql)
Your definition of "empty" database is just wrong.
The scripts you have mentioned form the Oracle data dictionary, without which an Oracle database cannot exist.
An empty database is something that does not have any user generated data.
So just create a database.
Pre-create the tablespaces (as found in the original database) that are used by the custom schema.
And then do a full import.

Previous Topic: NLS_LANGUAGE
Next Topic: sqlldr: Load data with timestamp datatype
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 16:24:25 CDT 2024