Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Windows Service Problem
Windows Service Problem [message #179076] Sat, 24 June 2006 14:06 Go to next message
relson
Greetings,

I have a java data collection application that needs to run as a windows service. Additionally several instances of it are needed to collect data from different sources. I'm using Oracle 8.1.7 and Windows 2000 Server.

I have Oracle and my program set to run automatically. As Oracle may (or may not) start first, my program will retry periodically (10 times at 30 second intervals) Most times, the program reports an ORA-01034 "Oracle not available", retries 30 seconds later, and is then successful. This is fine.

When I have _2_ instances of the program configured, they both get the ORA-01034 errors, retry 10 times (at 30 second intervals), then quit because they've been unable to connect. This is _not_ fine.

If I have the first program instance start automatically and manually start the second instance, they both connect to Oracle and all is fine.

Any idea why setting both services as automatic causes trouble? Anybody know links to helpful HOWTOs or other reading material?

Thanks.

David
Re: Windows Service Problem [message #179125 is a reply to message #179076] Sun, 25 June 2006 22:05 Go to previous message
smartin
This is just a guess, because I am not a windows programmer, but have you checked under the dependencies tab of your java services, to set them to be dependent on Oracle?
Previous Topic: Jinitiator 1.1.7.27 Problem
Next Topic: oracle not available.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:23:57 CDT 2024