Home » Other » Community Hangout » Saying Hi
Saying Hi [message #174068] Thu, 25 May 2006 15:01 Go to next message
pheusion
New to this site, outstanding resources here... Just wanted to intro myself, had a couple questions about Oracle in general...

I began with an 8i course I received for free a long time ago (roughly 7+ years ago) for building a school network. While I completed the course successfully I never persued it as it really never came up. My 10+ year career has always focused around ItSec and *Nix, but over the years I have done countless Oracle, MySQL and Postgres installs, basic dev, etc.

I have now been studying and getting back up-to-date with Oracle 10g, working towards OCA then eventually OCP.

For the most part it seems that I have been doing DBA type of work over the years, mainly on *Nix variants but several MS based installs as well, and while I have built basic DB's I never got into serious development with PL/SQL.

My Questions are:

What else should I expect as a DBA, in terms of is there anything I am missing (Apparently installs, basic dev and upgrades, optimization etc etc seem to be a DBA's role as far as I can tell)

I would like to specialize in DB Security, as it's a combo of my profession and current studies, what resources are avialable for this sector? (Been searching with not too much luck other than oracle docs)

How complex of a Oracle developer do I need to be to begin seeking employment for jr DBA. Installs on any platform isn't an issue, been doing that for many years, patches, disaster recovery, etc. Thats all part of my job duties in the ITSec sector anyway, so Im familiar with that.

Currently I am reading the Sybex 10g book, would you recommend others over this (I have the Oracle 2Day DBA and other books printed to study next as well.)

I am terribly sorry for the long winded post, just some things running through my head I cant seem to get a straight answer on.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Saying Hi [message #174075 is a reply to message #174068] Thu, 25 May 2006 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pheusion
Another Q, sorry...

I currently have 10g Express installed on Debian Sarge, this is my first time seeing the Web Based Manager, is this the norm for use within the field or is everyone still using CLI?

Re: Saying Hi [message #174123 is a reply to message #174075] Fri, 26 May 2006 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
A Database administrator or DBA, as the term implies, takes care of the administrative tasks of a database environment. Those tasks include
  • Maintaining schemas: tablespaces, resources, ...
  • Security
  • Backup and recovery
  • Performance tuning, but most of the performance tuning is done on the developers side.
  • installs and upgrades

As it comes to the interface: I'm still comfortable with SQL*Plus but Oracle as announced that it will be desupported. Now Oracle has also it's SQL Developer tool which seems to be quite nice.

MHE
Re: Saying Hi [message #174184 is a reply to message #174123] Fri, 26 May 2006 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> I'm still comfortable with SQL*Plus but Oracle as announced that it will be desupported.
Sql*plus de-supported?
I suppose they would still distribute it?
That really annoys me.
No more simple scripting with sql*plus/perl/shell/awk/cron ?

Regards~
Re: Saying Hi [message #174185 is a reply to message #174123] Fri, 26 May 2006 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pheusion
Thanks for the reply Maaher..

Im not familiar with SQLDeveloper or HTMLDB so I need to try and find it for my debian / express install here...

I like the command line anyway..

Thanks for the clarification Maaher.
Re: Saying Hi [message #174189 is a reply to message #174184] Fri, 26 May 2006 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
I'm sorry Mahesh, my mistake. I believe they were talking about the Windows GUI version. Although...now that I think of it: can anyone confirm because all of the sudden I begin to doubt...

MHE

[edit]The command line SQL*Plus should still be available.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 May 2006 07:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Saying Hi [message #174200 is a reply to message #174189] Fri, 26 May 2006 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Seems so.
Sql*plus Windows GUI (sqlplusw.exe) is the one to be desupported ( Do people really use that?)
Regards.
Re: Saying Hi [message #174278 is a reply to message #174200] Sat, 27 May 2006 03:02 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Rarely. I found that sqlplusw.exe was not usually installed on Developers' PCs. You had to install a particulr run-time to get it to install (I think it was 8i). I don't know whether 9i or 10g even have it in the release.

But hey, I use TOAD so am not too worried.

David
Previous Topic: Metalink dead?
Next Topic: Baby Names - who's right
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:09:54 CDT 2024