Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Win update killed my Oracle
Win update killed my Oracle [message #173646] Tue, 23 May 2006 14:16 Go to next message
clintonf
Hi there,

I'm getting Oracle error ORA-01033 after doing a tape restore and could really use some assistance restoring my database.

I know that there are posts regarding this error, but my situation is a little different.

I have a Windows 2003 server running Oracle 9i (not sure of the exact version). A recent Windows update (908531) resulted in ORA-01033 ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress.

My sysadmin removed the update and rebooted the server. But it seems like some tables got deleted in the process; maybe the datafiles were corrupted or something:

`SELECT table_name FROM user_tables;` resulted in no rows returned.

I had my sysadmin do a tape restore of the database before the windows update (Wed). After that I started getting error ORA-01033. I had asked him to make an additional backup (Fri) prior to restoring the Wed backup. He restored the Fri backup it but I am still getting ORA-01033.

I'm not really sure where I can go from here to fix things. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Clint
Re: Win update killed my Oracle [message #173706 is a reply to message #173646] Wed, 24 May 2006 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
Quote:

ORA-01033 ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

Cause: An attempt was made to log on while Oracle is being started or shut down.

Action: Wait a few minutes. Then retry the operation.

try to connect as sys and bounce the instance -ie shutdown and start the instance..

post the screen output of what happens when u try to do so..also check the alert log file messages .

also check what are the processes running against oracle..make sure that no shutdown script etc is running against oracle.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 May 2006 02:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Win update killed my Oracle [message #173826 is a reply to message #173706] Wed, 24 May 2006 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Thanks for the suggestions.

I attempted to log in to the instance several times with different user id's/roles:

Attempt 1: my user id
     C:\Program Files\Support Tools>sqlplus cfernandes@boo

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Wed May 24    09:11:27 2006

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Enter password:
     ERROR:
     ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

Enter user-name:

Attempt 2: connect as sys

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>sqlplus sys@boo

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Wed May 24 09:15:06 2006

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Enter password:
     ERROR:
     ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

Enter user-name:

I cannot find the alert logs. I'm not sure what they may be called, but they aren't called alert.log.

I'm also not sure how to check what processes are running against Oracle.

If you could advise me on how to do these then that would be excellent!

Thanks so much for your help!

Re: Win update killed my Oracle [message #174005 is a reply to message #173826] Thu, 25 May 2006 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
to find the alert log, give a search with alert*.log and you will find.. the alert log may be named as alert_<sid name>.log eg. if the sid name is u1 then it may be alert_s1.log..

pl. post ur findigs..
Re: Win update killed my Oracle [message #174029 is a reply to message #174005] Thu, 25 May 2006 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Is there something else that the file may be called? Or is there a configuration file that identifies what to name the alert log?

I did separate searches for alert*.log, alert and *.log but could not find any file suggesting that it was the alert log. There was certainly no file with the word "alert" in its file name.

My knowledge of Oracle is not too great (obviously) and I very much appreciate the assistance that you are providing.

Thanks again.
Re: Win update killed my Oracle [message #174124 is a reply to message #174029] Fri, 26 May 2006 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
You can find the location of the alert file by checking the BACKGROUND_DUMP_DEST parameter:
select value
from v$parameter
where name = 'background_dump_dest'

MHE
Re: Win update killed my Oracle [message #174187 is a reply to message #174124] Fri, 26 May 2006 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
just in case it may help, pl. give search on all files that have .log as extension and post the finding..what is the name of the database? what is the operating system? is it windows?

also for once, you can try to reboot the server..and check whether there is any change in the status.
Re: Win update killed my Oracle [message #174230 is a reply to message #174187] Fri, 26 May 2006 11:48 Go to previous message
clintonf
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I managed to find the alert log. Windows user/group permissions prevented me from finding them previously.

I'm not sure how to identify relevant sections (to this problem) from the log. I can see some error messages but I won't post them just yet because I fixed my problem!

What I did (guided by Oracle tech support) was recover the datafiles. I can't remember exactly what I did Embarassed but basically I did a datafile recovery from the archive log.

DOS> sqlplus /nolog

SQL> archive log list; (To see if I am running in archive mode - I am)

SQL> recover datafile 1;

(At this point SQL*Plus prompts you for each archive log that needs to be applied. You have the option to auto apply all of them or be prompted for each.)

SQL> recover datafile 2;

SQL> recover database; (do a recover datafile for all datafiles)

SQL> alter database open;

And that was it!

So, my database instance is working again!

If people want to see my alert log file to try and figure out what happened then I would be happy to oblige.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to assist me.
Previous Topic: VB6 distributed application doesn't work on NT client
Next Topic: Installing 9i and 10g on the same windows machine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:44:08 CDT 2024