Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » loading xml file using sql*loader (10g)
loading xml file using sql*loader (10g) [message #164247] Wed, 22 March 2006 09:21
dbgirl_smb
Hi Everyone....

I have a major problem. I need to use sql loader to load a large XML file into the database. This file contains records for many, many customers. This will be done monthly and the number of records will vary. I want to use sql loader and load to a staging table, BUT SPLIT THE RECORDS OUT and add a sequence. I am having 2 problems.

In the 10g documentation, when you want to split the records you use the BEGINDATA clause and indicate something (like a 0) for each instance of a record. Well my first file has 3,722 records in it. How do I know the number of records in each XML file?

The second problem is that because this is XML, I thought that I could use ENCLOSED BY. But the start tag has an attribute /counter in it and sql*loader doesnt recognize the starting tag. (i.e.: start tag is: </CustomerRec number=1>
end tag is: </CustomerRec> )

So, I used TERMINATED BY '</CustomerRec>'. This will split out the records, but it will NOT include the ending tag of </CustomerRec> and when I use extract, I receive an XML parsing error.

I have tried to get the ending tag using CONTINUEIF and SKIP. But those options are for "records" and not lines.

Does anyone have any ideas for the 2 problems above. I am at my wits end and I need to finish this ASAP. Any help would be apprecited.

Thank you!

Previous Topic: SQL*LOAD - manipulating data
Next Topic: SQL*loader problem (merged 3 threads)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 04 19:20:12 CDT 2024