Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » need help with exp/imp plz!
need help with exp/imp plz! [message #161110] Thu, 02 March 2006 01:09 Go to next message
Gertsch
Hi!

The story: once i migrated from an old pc and oracle 8.0 to a new desktop and oracle 8.1, worked perfectly.
The new database was an exact copy, and the old pc should from that moment on connect to the new db as client.
alas, i failed to switch the db name in the BDE utility, so the old one continued to work on the old db while the new one did the same with the new db.

My question: can i somehow export data from the old db and import it into the new one, so that same data is skipped, nothing gets overwritten, and only new data from the moment of the migration until now is imported?

thanks! Gertsch
Re: need help with exp/imp plz! [message #161354 is a reply to message #161110] Fri, 03 March 2006 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> My question: can i somehow export data from the old db and import it into the new one, so that same data is skipped, nothing gets overwritten, and only new data from the moment of the migration until now is imported?

No.
Re: need help with exp/imp plz! [message #164075 is a reply to message #161110] Tue, 21 March 2006 12:11 Go to previous message
nmacdannald
No is right. You may want to look at pushing archive files onto the new database. Or a dual phased commit, or one of many other methods. There are many, but with the export/import the correct answer is no, unless you have a primary key or unique key on every table and allow the import to fail when it inserts duplicate rows.
Previous Topic: SQL*LOADER-how to load the infile name to field?
Next Topic: sqlldr invalid number problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 04 20:21:34 CDT 2024