Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » I turn my back for just a moment and something goes wrong with the Alpha OpenVMS.
I turn my back for just a moment and something goes wrong with the Alpha OpenVMS. [message #130820] Tue, 02 August 2005 13:53 Go to next message
Athanasopolous
I turn my back for just a moment and something goes wrong with the Alpha OpenVMS. Actually, it is my fault. I should not have given the system password out. Or maybe the room where the system terminal sits should be under lock and key.

Anyway, the system is locked up. THere is a generic sort of prompt asking the user to accept default settings with a [YES] at the end. But no matter what key stroke or combination of keyboard entries (including F1) is typed, the system does not budge beyond this point.

I cannot imagine that this program is system critical. And so, I don't think there is any problem with stopping the program.

But I have run out of ideas on how to do this.

Incidently, the floppy drive as a little LCD light that is on. It is as if the Alpha is waiting to get input from that drive.

If I turn off the coputer and restart it, what is the procedure to do so?

Control-Z,
Control-O,
Control-Q,
Control-C, and
Control-T all do nothing.

I can log on from another terminal by telnet.

I made sure that the keyboard is attached to the computer. But one thing I have noticed is that the caps Lock and the num Lock do not cause the little LCD to light up on the keyboard when you push these buttons.

Shall I reboot my computer? How do I do that?
Re: I turn my back for just a moment and something goes wrong with the Alpha OpenVMS. [message #130851 is a reply to message #130820] Tue, 02 August 2005 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DMcG
If you can telnet onto it and log in as system, you can get the machine to reboot.
Use the command @SYS$SYSTEM:SHUTDOWN.COM and answer the questions that follow (use the defaults until you get to -
"Should an automatic system reboot be performed [No]? "
Type "Yes" and hit return. Then just hit return until you answer all the questions and it starts shutting down.
The shutdown process will kill of your remote session before it reboots.

As a drastic measure, you could simply switch the system off and then on again. When it's finished it's power up checks it may auto-boot, if not and you end up sitting at a prompt ">>>" then just type "b" and hit return.

Dougie McGibbon
Re: I turn my back for just a moment and something goes wrong with the Alpha OpenVMS. [message #131161 is a reply to message #130820] Thu, 04 August 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Athanasopolous
Thanks.

We got the computer running again but now there are other problems.

We were unable to telnet to the alpha until we ran the TCPIP Configuration utility.

ANd now I have found that we also cannot use a FTP utility as well. Is there some sort of FTP configuration utility to run?
Re: I turn my back for just a moment and something goes wrong with the Alpha OpenVMS. [message #131224 is a reply to message #130820] Thu, 04 August 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DMcG
There's a general network startup routine that should be called from the main system startup routine when the system boots.
It's at SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$SYSTARTUP.COM

If you run that - it should startup all the seperate elements that are configured. If not, have a look through the file and you should find that the commands to start the individual services just need uncommented.

Dougie McGibbon
Re: I turn my back for just a moment and something goes wrong with the Alpha OpenVMS. [message #143824 is a reply to message #131224] Sun, 23 October 2005 00:14 Go to previous message
ogge
Hi all,

Ahum, just a little bit of caution here! Please, do not edit this file unless you're quite(very) sure of what you're doing. I explained in an another respons the proper procedure how to handle the tcpip issues. Also a caution about shutting down the system from a remote telnet session. If it is possible you should try to avoid it. You might end up in a situation when the system doesn't shut down but you may have lost the network to it. This leaves you in the position that you may have to turn off the node by pressing "Control-P" as you were trying to do or by the power switch...try avoiding that as much as possible! Always use the Console for these kind of issues to keep control of the situation. I'm not sure if you're trying to explain that the terminal that is locked is the Console or not...? If it is the Console and you still have access to the network you can always look for the user who is using it and stop the user-session. When you are logged in via telnet you can just type "$show user/full" and then look for a user who is attached to a terminal "OPA0". When you find that user with that terminal name you have pinpopinted the Console user.

Regards,
//Ogge
Previous Topic: How do I get TCP/IP back and running?
Next Topic: Re: Anybody still using Oracle on VMS?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:50:39 CDT 2024