Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Probelms installing Oracle9i client - oci.dll error
icon8.gif  Probelms installing Oracle9i client - oci.dll error [message #122735] Wed, 08 June 2005 05:46 Go to next message
seanboy
Hi there,

I am setting up a computer lab where the lecturers have asked for both Oracle 9i developer suite AND oracle 9i client to be installed (who knows why!). I've installed oracle developer suite to C:\orahome1 with no problems. the problem comes when i try to install the client. I have been told to install the client to the same default directory (c:\orahome1) but it only gets so far before throwing up an error that it can't 'write over oci.dll'. Pressing retry 100 times doesnt help Surprised) I clicked ignore and the installation continued to its end but then it said that some original windows files have been overwritten and i would need to insert the win xp with sp2 cd in order to reinstall them. Obviously this is far messier than i would have liked! does anyone know what causes the oci.dll overwrite problem? Is there anyway i can stop that from happening? Also should I just install the client in a different location (e.g c:\orahome2) or would this have adverse affects? I dont know anything about oracle im afriad and the lecturers are no help. Any aid is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sean
Re: Probelms installing Oracle9i client - oci.dll error [message #122771 is a reply to message #122735] Wed, 08 June 2005 08:32 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Hi,

Most client components (SQL*Net, utilities, etc.) are installed with the Developer Suite installation. Ask your users why they need to have a second client installation done.

If they have good reasons, install it in a separate ORACLE_HOME directory. If not, tell them that you've already done it Smile

Best regards.

Frank
Previous Topic: Please help
Next Topic: Oracle Installation error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:12:51 CDT 2024