Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » VMS
VMS [message #101683] Tue, 11 December 2001 01:06 Go to next message
Sam
can any one let me be informed what actually is VMS.
is this an operating system yet to come, exclusively for oracle net working.
what is the most suitable opeating system for oracle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: VMS [message #101684 is a reply to message #101683] Tue, 11 December 2001 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ifigenia
VMS is a OS from Compaq.
Oracle server usually runs on a Unix machine and clients from NT machines. However this is not a rule you can install Oracle in pretty much any OS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: VMS [message #101694 is a reply to message #101683] Mon, 25 March 2002 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MOE
VMS is an OS of DEC (Digital Equipment Cooperation). DEC has been took over by Compaq and they are (as far as i know) about to cooperate with Hewlett Packard (HP). VMS only runs on specific hardware. I liked it, but today i would prefer unix on server-side. But which unix? It depends on your budget. SUN-OS, HP-UX, IBM-AIX they have all fan's, and we made projects on all of them. On the other hand, oracle run's on linux (with better performance than on NT) on a lowcost pc-platform.
Hope this helps a little bit...
Re: VMS [message #101752 is a reply to message #101683] Sat, 07 February 2004 12:22 Go to previous message
William Robertson
VMS is a proprietary OS designed IIRC by David Cutler who went on to work on Windows NT. It ran on DEC VAX machines and attracted misguided advocates back in the days when "Minicomputer" was a word.

It was an operating system that seemed friendly enough at first because you could list directory contents by typing "DIR" (or "dir", as it was case-insensitive) and it had a great online help system. I'm told its COBOL debugger was second to none. Unfortunately things started to go downhill when you wanted to change directory as the command was "set def", and this would succeed regardless of whether the directory existed or not, and you would often type several more commands before finding that you were in no directory at all. It also had no pipes, but made up for it by attempting to provide options for every conceivable requirement with every command. It had a strong system of "logical" file pointers (similar to links) and "symbols" (environment variables) and a tradition grew up of nesting these a zillion levels deep such that DCL scripts were a completely unintelligible mess of things that actually referred to other things.

I'm told it had a diesel-like stability and robustness back when Unix did not, so from an end user's point of view it was probably fine. For a database developer like me it was not.
Previous Topic: Export & import under Oracle 8i under Novell 5.1 is very slow
Next Topic: Synonym for a synonym
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:24:18 CDT 2024