Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Import
Import [message #74607] Thu, 20 January 2005 01:47 Go to next message
Milind Deshpande
Hi all,

I have a question regarding Import utility in Oracle.
How can I make the Import faster, can anybody give me suggestions.

Is this correct that if you first import the data and then Indexes and increasing sort_area_size parameter makes import faster.How can increasing the value of this parameter helps in import.

Pls. give your suggestions on this and some tips for the same.

Thanks a lot

Milind.
Re: Import [message #74609 is a reply to message #74607] Thu, 20 January 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
during import add commit=n ( also analyze=n and more value for BUFFER=XXXXXXX. Note that with commit=n you may be running out of rollback. So make sure you have ENough rollback/undo space. Else use commit=y)
import just the data.
Recreate the indexes later ( use sqlplus or any tool to create index in parallel).
sort_area_size is an init< sid > parameter.
set it and bounce your database. It helps to avoid too much sorting to happening in disk ( Specifically during the index creation).
And ofcourse, if the tablespaces are in nologging mode, you may save some overhead!.
Re: Import [message #74610 is a reply to message #74609] Thu, 20 January 2005 04:42 Go to previous message
Milind Deshpande
Thanks Mahesh for your quick response and resourceful information.

Milind.
Previous Topic: Error when import database
Next Topic: Efficient tool/procedure for Migrating Oracle 8.0.4 data of size 600 GB to 9.2.0
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 10:47:51 CDT 2024