Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Loading a column containing newline
Loading a column containing newline [message #74008] Mon, 23 August 2004 11:13 Go to next message
Sanjay Shukla
We are migrating an application. Old system loads a record (using slq loader) containing New line character chr(10) correctly, but in my new system it's not taking it. I have tried 'terminated by X"10"', but it has not worked.

Have tried keeping the control file same, sqlplus show all options are ditto same too.

We are running it in Oracle 8i on a unix platform.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Loading a column containing newline [message #74015 is a reply to message #74008] Tue, 24 August 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay Shukla
Was able to handle the situation by using the CONTINUEIF clause. Since my new records started with two blank characters, so I made the next record part of the same logical record, if the first two characters of the next row were not equal to blank.

CONTINUEIF NEXT (1:2)<>X'2020'
Re: Loading a column containing newline [message #74032 is a reply to message #74015] Fri, 27 August 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vikas Arya
what does this command do

CONTINUEIF NEXT (1:2)<>X'2020'
Re: Loading a column containing newline [message #74034 is a reply to message #74032] Sat, 28 August 2004 07:18 Go to previous message
Sanjay Shukla
If there are CR/LF in the columns then more then one record will be part of one logical record. To do so, this statement instructs sqlldr to take next line as part of current record if the first 2 columns in the next line are NOT blank. Luckily for me every record beggined with two spaces, so if the next line didn't have it that means, the next line is part of the current logical record.

Hope it helps.
Previous Topic: ER-diagram
Next Topic: upgrade to new version(7.3 to 9.2)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 11:10:11 CDT 2024