Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Data Migration
Data Migration [message #72623] Thu, 07 August 2003 00:00 Go to next message
Bimala Mishra
Hi,

I am in the process of migrating data from an external system having Oracle databse into another oracle database. I am trying to give exact field dimension like if a field is VARCHAR2(1) I am defining in the control file as varchar(1) and so on. I am getting error that unable to truncate. When I change this to CHAR it is successfuuly getting loaded. Even for numberic and float field also just Integer External & float external works fine. I had planned to give the exact dimension as mentioned in the table structure which I am not able to do so. can you please throw some light on it.

Thanks in advance,
Bimala
Re: Data Migration [message #72625 is a reply to message #72623] Thu, 07 August 2003 07:56 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
[b]Quoting Docs[/b]
A VARCHAR field is a length-value datatype. It consists of a binary length subfield followed by a character string of the specified length. The length is in bytes unless character-length semantics are used for the datafile. In that case, the length is in characters. See Character-Length Semantics.
VARCHAR fields can be loaded with correct results only between systems where a SHORT data field INT has the same length in bytes. If the byte order is different between the systems, or if the VARCHAR field contains data in the UTF16 character set, use the appropriate technique to indicate the byte order of the length subfield and of the data. The byte order of the data is only an issue for the UTF16 character set. 

Previous Topic: Specifying Conditions in SQL Loader
Next Topic: SQL*Loader - Closing Control File
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 13:38:19 CDT 2024