Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Connectivity: SQL*Net and Security
Connectivity: SQL*Net and Security [message #61479] Wed, 28 April 2004 00:59 Go to next message
Patrick Tahiri
Hi,

I have only experience with Oracle Net Services and Oracle 9i R.2. I'm now confronted with 2 Oracle8i Release 8.1.7.2.0 servers.

I'have read this 3 sentences:

"SQL*Net traffic should not be allowed to pass through firewalls unless absolutely necessary. Firewall filters should be designed to only allow SQL*Net traffic from known application and web servers. Few applications require direct SQL*Net to a database from the Internet."

1. I would like to know what is SQL*Net versus Oracle Net Services? Is it he same but for an Oracle 8i version? Are they playing the same role?

2. With Oracle Net Services and in a Client-Server application or Java Application Client (web server) connections: Oracle Net is always installed on both the Oracle database server and the Application side! So I'm a bit confused with: "Few applications require direct SQL*Net to a database from the Internet."? I feel I'm quite mixing now...

3. What should I interpret with these 3 sentences and SQL*Net? Practically what does it mean what should I actually do in my server configuration to apply this about SQL*Net?

Many thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Patrick Tahiri.
Re: Connectivity: SQL*Net and Security [message #61565 is a reply to message #61479] Wed, 05 May 2004 09:54 Go to previous message
croca
1) SQL*Net versus Oracle Net Services
Net Services it's a brand new name for the 'old' SQL*Net software.
we are talking the same software.

2)Yes, you will have to install SQL*net (or Net Services) both sides: database server and Application server. Because JAVA programs will use SQL*Net from the application server to access the database server.

I believe question 3) will get clear to You after reading answer 1 and 2.

Best luck.
www.otools.com.ar
Previous Topic: creating a new user and grant issues
Next Topic: object privilege
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:30:15 CDT 2024