Home » RDBMS Server » Security » sys system sysdba sysoper
sys system sysdba sysoper [message #57036] Thu, 15 May 2003 18:35 Go to next message
Chris
I'm learning oracle and am very puzzled/confused with these -- sys system sysdba sysoper.

While I understand only sys and system are user accounts (not sysdba or sysoper), I don't understand why when you log in as sys, you have to choose "as sysdba" or "as sysoper".

When you login as a user, in the case as sys, that user has the roles/privileges that go with it. Like login as root on a unix machine, you have super user privilege. Or as administrator on NT box, you are super user (roles and privileges already assigned)

Could you shred some light on this?

Chris
Re: sys system sysdba sysoper [message #57073 is a reply to message #57036] Mon, 19 May 2003 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay
SYS and SYSTEM are both created during a DB creation.

In plain English (just a few):

1. SYS is more powerful than SYSTEM. All dictionary objects and views are owned by SYS (things needed to run the DB).
2. You log in 'SYS as SYSDBA' when you have to recycle the database.
3, For normal DBA task, most of the time you log in as SYSTEM (which has DBA role). DBA role has access to all the dictionary, views ....
4. It is NOT a good idea to give 'DBA role' to normal users. Unless you are lazy to set up a user and just give DBA role to quickly resolve permissions.

Hope this clarifies your doubts...
Re: sys system sysdba sysoper [message #57097 is a reply to message #57036] Tue, 20 May 2003 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris
Thanks to Sanjay for the knowledge.

I still have some questions.

1. When do you login as "sys as sysoper" Vs "sys as sysdba"?

2. Since sys and system both have "DBA role", what is what?

3. By saying "DBA role", do you mean that the role is comprised of multiple administrative privileges, such as, as a minimun, to login the database.

4. Could you also create a user similar as system or sys -- I mean this new user, say oraroot, have the same power/privilege as sys or system?

Cheers
Re: sys system sysdba sysoper [message #489273 is a reply to message #57097] Fri, 14 January 2011 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vishal0soni
The SYSDBA and SYSOPER privileges can also be thought of as types of connections that enable Oracle DBA to perform certain database operations for which privileges cannot be granted in any other fashion. For example, Oracle DBA if Oracle DBA have the SYSDBA privilege, Oracle DBA can connect to the database by specifying CONNECT AS SYSDBA.
Re: sys system sysdba sysoper [message #489279 is a reply to message #489273] Fri, 14 January 2011 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Why do you reply to a 8 years old topic that is no more up to date given the evolution of Oracle since this time?

Regards
Michel
Re: sys system sysdba sysoper [message #489285 is a reply to message #489279] Fri, 14 January 2011 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
Its not often I feel the need to link images, but 8 years is special...

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/international-politics/18309d1264018105-racism-ignorance-laziness-just-plain-stupidity-necromancy.jpg
Re: sys system sysdba sysoper [message #489321 is a reply to message #489285] Fri, 14 January 2011 07:58 Go to previous message
cookiemonster
Smile
Previous Topic: Audit Vault How to
Next Topic: Viewing Trigger Code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:35:41 CDT 2024