Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Can we perform export/import from source & target db having different db_block_size ? (oracle 11g linux 6.2)
Can we perform export/import from source & target db having different db_block_size ? [message #636393] Wed, 22 April 2015 12:36 Go to next message
kesavansundaram
Hi Team,
My source database db_block_size = 16k and target is 8k.
will I be abel to export ( datapump ) from source database and import into target ?
If possible, will there be any performance impact on target database ?

Thank you
sk

Re: Can we perform export/import from source & target db having different db_block_size ? [message #636394 is a reply to message #636393] Wed, 22 April 2015 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

1/ Yes you can.
2/ It depends.

Have a look at transportable tablespace so you have not to change the block size with the drawbacks of having to set a cache for this size at the expense of other caches.

Re: Can we perform export/import from source & target db having different db_block_size ? [message #636395 is a reply to message #636393] Wed, 22 April 2015 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Some, many, most IT Professionals would quickly run a sample test to learn what works & what throws errors.

If some body responds that it can't be done, what do you do next?
Re: Can we perform export/import from source & target db having different db_block_size ? [message #636399 is a reply to message #636395] Wed, 22 April 2015 13:28 Go to previous message
kesavansundaram
Hi Blackswan,
I am working for AWS RDS instance. In AWS RDS, we don't have control on O/S and instance creation is done thro GUI screens. we get service from aws and providing support for our customer who provision the instnace. one of our customer wanted to export from db having block size 16k and wanted to import into rds oracle instnace which is running on 8k which is default. yes, I am setting up source db with 16k and i will do experiment this now.

sorry for inconvenience.

Thank you
Previous Topic: Exclude Table in Schema Level
Next Topic: how to import dump of one databse to another database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:21:59 CDT 2024