Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Performance Monitor looked ugly (11.2.04)
Performance Monitor looked ugly [message #630998] Wed, 07 January 2015 09:20 Go to next message
bvo65
OEM has not run for quiet long, once I started (I just started this job) it and noticed the query is causing all this spiking. There's an index but somehow it not using it. Consulted with developer and pulled the query out. We created another index but still couldn't help the cpu usage. It looked fine for a few minutes and jumped back up more than maximum CPU. this spiking is impacting production performance. Do you know why it causes the problem and how to fix it? Is there a way to get the actual values that were entered, instead of the substitution variables?

thanks in advance.

BN
Re: Performance Monitor looked ugly [message #631001 is a reply to message #630998] Wed, 07 January 2015 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/433888/136107/#msg_433888
Please refer to URL above & be sure to provide the details requested:
1) DDL for all tables & indexes
2) EXPLAIN PLAN
3) output from SQL_TRACE & tkprof
Re: Performance Monitor looked ugly [message #631002 is a reply to message #631001] Wed, 07 January 2015 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
Do some internet searches and you will find information on how to get bind variable values. You can start here if you like.

There is no simple advice to help you tune as tuning requires knowledge and to some degree experience doing it. Since you think you have a SQL Tuning problem, here is the promotional chapter of my book on SQL Tuning. I have attached the free promotional chapter and the free scripts from the book. This is the complete first chapter and it will teach you about the role of Cardinality in query plan generation and give you some tools to make tuning a little easier. This chapter and the scripts are free and you do NOT need to buy the book in order to use them and share them with others so please do so. If you do decide you want the book, then for the new year, I have reduced the price of the book on Amazon by 40% which if Amazon does its typical 16% discount will provide the cheapest price possible while still retaining free shipping.

Good Reading. Kevin

[Updated on: Wed, 07 January 2015 09:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Performance Monitor looked ugly [message #631053 is a reply to message #631001] Thu, 08 January 2015 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bvo65
BlackSwan - I don't see the url would help me to resolve the problem.

thanks,

BN

BTW, my name means White Swan Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 08 January 2015 06:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Performance Monitor looked ugly [message #631055 is a reply to message #631053] Thu, 08 January 2015 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>BlackSwan - I don't see the url would help me to resolve the problem.

You are correct & I apologize.
It appears that my CUT & PASTE response file got corrupted.
Correct URL is below

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/mv/msg/84315/433888/#msg_433888
Re: Performance Monitor looked ugly [message #634394 is a reply to message #631002] Mon, 09 March 2015 07:42 Go to previous message
paolfili
Hello Kevin.
IMHO your book it's ,by far, the BEST book on SQL Tuning ever written.
A top class DBA (as you are) can have a relevant knowledge in some areas of the Oracle's ocean.
Anyone can read Lewis,Poder,Antognini,and the other "classics" on Oracle Performance Tuning subject.
But a different matter is explain,and focus so deeply on the process of explaining, complex concepts in a so fascinating way.
Thanks Kevin for your valuable gift to the Oracle community.
Previous Topic: Database today's load vs yesterday
Next Topic: Same Data, Two machines but different timings. Why?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:37:56 CDT 2024