Home » Other » Community Hangout » My Last "Working Week"
My Last "Working Week" [message #544649] Thu, 23 February 2012 03:25 Go to next message
rajavu1

Next week is my last working week in my company. And to be exact 02-MAR-2012 is going to be my last working day in my company. It is a journey of 82 months (almost 7 years). A mixed reactions going on my mind when think about that day.

Any comments dear friends? Please share your such farewell experiences ..
Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544658 is a reply to message #544649] Thu, 23 February 2012 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Yep. I also always had mixed feelings before switching jobs. But in retrospect it so far was the right decision every time.

But the company I'm now in for 11 years in is basically the first where I work "with the same colleagues" regularly, before that it was on-site stuff where I switched clients and work places every few weeks anyway. Kinda weird, when I quit 11 years ago the last time the actual company I quit from didn't do anything special, only a client I was with on and off a lot organized a little farewell party. Wink

I hope your job switch also turns out to be positive.
Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544686 is a reply to message #544658] Thu, 23 February 2012 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rajavu1

Trust me. 11 years in Same company if in India would have been regarded as Tooooo longggg service. Hats off for that.

And for me, most of the friends are @ On-site this time and I would be lucky if any client organizes the farewell party for me Smile

Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544766 is a reply to message #544686] Thu, 23 February 2012 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
My advice is to plan ahead, so that you don't run out of time to do things at the last minute. If there is any work that needs to be finished or things that need to be passed on to other people, so that they can continue what you did after you leave, then make sure you do that. If you have been issued any equipment or borrowed any books or things like that, then make sure you return them and get receipts where appropriate. If you have personal property (books, coffee cup, whatever) in your desk or cubicle or office or whatever you have, then pack that up and take it home in advance. Make sure you make arrangements to turn in any keys and security cards and such. If you have automated phone and email systems, leave a final automated message that advises anybody calling or emailing that you no longer work there and that their message will therefore not be received. You might set it to automatically forward the email to your personal email and check the phone system remotely until you are removed from the system. You could leave forwarding number and email if you like.

The last time that I left a job, I retired. I had been working at that location in that capacity for the last about 7 years, but had been working for the same organization in various capacities for 25 years. A small group from the team that I worked most closely with took me out to lunch the day before my last day, after which, back at the office, they provided cake and ice cream and a room full of people who worked there showed up. That was pretty much the standard celebration for whatever the occasion. It was just 2 days before my birthday, so it was kind of a combination farewell, retirement, and birthday. There was one jerk in the group that had been causing me problems since college, who intentionally dumped a piece of cake in my lap, getting it all over my dress, then ran out of the room. At the time I was having back problems and it was painful for me to carry just a few boxes of personal belongings from my desk in my cubicle to the elevator, then to my car one at a time. The only person who offered to help me was another woman with back problems. Sometime after retirement, I received my 25-year pin in the mail. I have a mixture of good and bad memories.

When switching from one job to another or from one work location to another within the same organization, I usually just barely had enough time to close things out at one place and prepare for the next place. Sometimes there was a small celebration like the final one that I just described and sometimes nothing. It was the same for other people as well. It kind of depended on the circumstances and amount of advance notice. It is best to focus most of your attention on the new job or once you retire, on the rest of your life. It is better to focus on the future than to dwell on the past.

What is your new job and when do you start? Or, are you in a situation where your contract has finished and you will be searching for a new one?

[Updated on: Thu, 23 February 2012 11:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544768 is a reply to message #544766] Thu, 23 February 2012 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
BB
There was one jerk in the group that had been causing me problems since college

Everlasting love, eh? /forum/fa/3023/0/
Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544769 is a reply to message #544768] Thu, 23 February 2012 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Littlefoot wrote on Thu, 23 February 2012 09:56
BB

No, it was a strange situation. We were in a class together and worked on a project together and had a conflict then. Years later, when he recognized me at work, he began causing problems for me, ranging from spreading false rumors to putting itching powder all over everything in my cubicle.
Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544773 is a reply to message #544769] Thu, 23 February 2012 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Barbara Boehmer wrote on Thu, 23 February 2012 13:01
Years later, when he recognized me at work, he began causing problems for me, ranging from spreading false rumors to putting itching powder all over everything in my cubicle.

I wish I can come up with an emoticon as a reaction to this, but I cannot even in words explain what it would look like.
That is quite...odd.
Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544774 is a reply to message #544773] Thu, 23 February 2012 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
joy_division wrote on Thu, 23 February 2012 10:33
Barbara Boehmer wrote on Thu, 23 February 2012 13:01
Years later, when he recognized me at work, he began causing problems for me, ranging from spreading false rumors to putting itching powder all over everything in my cubicle.

I wish I can come up with an emoticon as a reaction to this, but I cannot even in words explain what it would look like.
That is quite...odd.

The words that come to my mind are juvenile and immature. He had a pattern of getting outrageously angry, yelling and cussing, over misunderstandings, instead of discussing things calmly, then seeking retaliation in ways that were like something a rotten school boy might do. When he would get caught, it would make him more angry, then he would do something worse the next time, and the pattern continued.

In one incident, I was ordered to seek assistance from him on something that needed to be done and was his area. I didn't want to work with him and he didn't want to work with me, but I followed orders. He refused to help. I told him that I was ordered to tell him to do this. He refused to believe me. I told him that if he didn't do it, I would have to tell our supervisor that he refused. I then picked up the phone and called our supervisor in front of him. My supervisor had me relay instructions to him. He refused to believe that I was speaking to our supervisor and thought I was faking the phone call. When I relayed that to our supervisor, our supervisor instructed me to hand him the phone. Obviously, after speaking to our supervisor over the phone, then he believed who I was speaking to. After hanging up the phone, he challenged me to a fight in the parking lot, which I declined. The work was ultimately done by someone else from his unit, who did a fine job. I made sure that I sent an email highly commended the one that did the work, including a copy to the supervisor.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 February 2012 12:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544776 is a reply to message #544774] Thu, 23 February 2012 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Well, that person has severe problems inside his head, but never treated them properly (if anyhow at all). I'm sorry that he kind of followed you throughout many years of your life. (I hope you didn't get my previous message seriously.)
Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544779 is a reply to message #544776] Thu, 23 February 2012 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Littlefoot wrote on Thu, 23 February 2012 11:53
Well, that person has severe problems inside his head, but never treated them properly (if anyhow at all). I'm sorry that he kind of followed you throughout many years of your life. (I hope you didn't get my previous message seriously.)

Well, oddly, that was one of the false allegations. In an attempt to justify some of his behavior, he told our supervisor that I had caused problems between him and his wife, when we were in college, who was his girlfriend at the time, apparently claiming there was some sort of romantic relationship that didn't exist. The result of that was that our supervisor temporarily took his side and questioned me in a nasty manner. That changed when a co-worker told him that he had told her about concocting that story and about putting the itching powder on things in my cubicle. When confronted with what she said, apparently he confessed. The supervisor said he was going to have the cubicle professionally cleaned to remove all traces of the hazardous material and have him pay for it. So, once he was caught at that, then of course he got angrier. I remember hearing him shouting "That b**** is gonna f***ing pay!" They should have fired him. He is the kind of person who is likely to do somebody some serious damage someday.
Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544788 is a reply to message #544779] Thu, 23 February 2012 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Barbara Boehmer wrote on Thu, 23 February 2012 15:06
Littlefoot wrote on Thu, 23 February 2012 11:53

Well, oddly, that was one of the false allegations. In an attempt to justify some of his behavior, he told our supervisor that I had caused problems between him and his wife, when we were in college, who was his girlfriend at the time, apparently claiming there was some sort of romantic relationship that didn't exist. The result of that was that our supervisor temporarily took his side and questioned me in a nasty manner. That changed when a co-worker told him that he had told her about concocting that story and about putting the itching powder on things in my cubicle. When confronted with what she said, apparently he confessed. The supervisor said he was going to have the cubicle professionally cleaned to remove all traces of the hazardous material and have him pay for it. So, once he was caught at that, then of course he got angrier. I remember hearing him shouting "That b**** is gonna f***ing pay!" They should have fired him. He is the kind of person who is likely to do somebody some serious damage someday.

Have you followed the news to see if he has any high profile crimes. I can't believe that someone like this could fly under the radar for too long. A person like will not change. I can't see how this person has not done something that landed him in jail or dead.
Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544790 is a reply to message #544788] Thu, 23 February 2012 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
joy_division wrote on Thu, 23 February 2012 13:55

Have you followed the news to see if he has any high profile crimes.

No, I haven't.
Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544857 is a reply to message #544790] Fri, 24 February 2012 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rajavu1

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for for you advice. Its been nice to read you reply illustrating the minute details ( like personal property (books, coffee cup, whatever) in your desk or cubicle or office or whatever you have, then pack that up and take it home in advance). It explains the minute things just like the way you come with some brilliant solution in Orafaq.

Right now I am into to Telecom domain (Data Migration) and now moving to another domain Investment banking. I am changing the job because I felt it is the time to get exposure from some other domain when I realised that there is no more scope for any development with my current position. Obviously there is slight financial benefit in new company too.

I will be leaving by 02MAR2012 from the current company and will join the new one by 15-MAR-2012. I got the Offer some times and I am serving the notice period of three months here. I was not so adventurous to search for job after serving the notice period as I have to live in this costly city along with my wife Smile

And still I am wondering about the current profile of that "notorious jerk" . It is so strange and by interesting character
Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544861 is a reply to message #544857] Fri, 24 February 2012 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Hi - just one contribution to the what-to-do-when-leaving discussion: be very careful what you take with you. I don't mean stealing your work PC, I mean intellectual property. Things like emails and mailing lists; copies of statspack reports; code snippets. All these belong to the employer, and they sometimes get very nasty about such things leaving the office and being used for someone else's benfit. It is always best to leave in as friendly a way as possible, to minimize any such problems. And you never know when you might need a personal contact.
Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544878 is a reply to message #544861] Fri, 24 February 2012 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
On the other hand, when *I* leave the office and go be someone else's benefit, everything that came from *my* intellect will be leaving the office anyway, stored in my head.

But keeping friendly and in contact somehow is always the way to do it. It's sometimes amazing how many people you keep running into over and over at different companies.
Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #544886 is a reply to message #544769] Fri, 24 February 2012 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
balckbandit5
Barbara Boehmer wrote on Thu, 23 February 2012 19:01
Littlefoot wrote on Thu, 23 February 2012 09:56
BB

No, it was a strange situation. We were in a class together and worked on a project together and had a conflict then. Years later, when he recognized me at work, he began causing problems for me, ranging from spreading false rumors to putting itching powder all over everything in my cubicle.

This guy was an adult?? (well physically...clearly not mentally)
I'm only 19 and I wouldn't even consider doing any of what you've described, dumping cake in your lap? really mature... o_O
Re: My Last "Working Week" [message #620163 is a reply to message #544886] Tue, 29 July 2014 10:39 Go to previous message
Lalit Kumar B
Similar feelings for me as I am leaving my current organization in next 5 days. It's not a new thing for me though as I have had worked for couple of organizations before, but the environment, culture and experience here has made an impact on me. Quite similar to Google's work culture.

People might ask, then why do you want to leave. The only answer, quite rational, I am joining Oracle as an employee and it was my dream, ever since I started working in IT, precisely RDBMS technology. And of course, a handsome salary hike Smile
Previous Topic: Understanding Indexes - The Video
Next Topic: Man and Woman
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:00:09 CDT 2024