Home » Server Options » Replication » Oracle Streams vs SharePlex
Oracle Streams vs SharePlex [message #521602] Wed, 31 August 2011 09:06 Go to next message
iceman1982
Hi All,

Could you help me with making correct decision?
Till now my company used SharePlex for replication 6 DBs from different location to one server (used for BI operations).

1) Replication in in real time Smile
2) All DBs are Oracle but different versions 9 and 10 .
3) We have horizontal and vertical replication. We replicate just some tables, for some tables just some columns and for some tables just records with some conditions
4) We have different charsets.
5) SharePlex have compare/repair tool to check it DBs are in sync mode

I started to look for Oracle Streams to use it instead of SharePlex. Do you know if it is able to handle that type of replications?

Do you know about any Oracle Streams limitation which eliminates it?

BR,
Emil
Re: Oracle Streams vs SharePlex [message #521618 is a reply to message #521602] Wed, 31 August 2011 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Streams or Advanced Replication can do all of that and lots more (such as conflict resolution and transformations), and they are bundled with Enterprise Edition. Oracle will suggest Goldengate, which is an extra cost option.
You might have issues if your charactersets are particularly badly set up, or with some datatypes in the older databases.
Re: Oracle Streams vs SharePlex [message #521710 is a reply to message #521618] Thu, 01 September 2011 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iceman1982
Hi,
Thanks for replay.

I started do read Oracle Streams - Replication Administrator's Guid documentation but i can not find information about vertical and horizontal replication.

1) Does Oracle Streams can handle this? How does it works?

2) I found that Oracle Streams is part of Oracle EE. Can I bye it and use with lower versions of Oracle?

3) As I know Oracle Streams use DB engine. What if DB crash from some reason? Oracle Streams will stop as well or will work or inform about tragedy? Smile

4) If I have source on Oracle 9 and Target on oracle 10 - Oracle Streams will work without any problems?

5) If char-sets on source and target are different I can configure SharePlex to handle this.. Oracle Streams can handle this as well

6) If some tables will be out of sync does Oracle Streams inform me about this situation like SharePlex?

I know it's a lot of question but I don't know much about Oracle Streams. I think it is interesting and I can prepare my self and company to use it instead of SP.

Re: Oracle Streams vs SharePlex [message #521712 is a reply to message #521710] Thu, 01 September 2011 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
As Oracle Streams will sooner become obsolete, investigate Golden Gates and do not spend too much time on Streams.

By the way, to answer some of your questions, Streams supports different character sets but not different Oracle versions.

Regards
Michel
Re: Oracle Streams vs SharePlex [message #521726 is a reply to message #521712] Thu, 01 September 2011 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
@iceman, if you go back to the docs you will find that Streams can do anything you like with regard to selecting rows, columns, and objects to replicate.
You can do any transformations you want as well.
You can configure any alert conditions you want reported.
You can go across versions no problem.
Charactersets no problem.

I don't think you read the docs at all!

wrt Goldengate, it is US$17500.00 per CPU. This may be why the Oracle sales droids tell you to use it instead of Streams, which is bundled with the EE license. Do not be put off by people saying Streams is obsolete, it is fully supported and 11.2 has new features. Advanced Replication is also fully supported even though development pretty much stopped in 9i. And you might well find that the subset of Adv Rep that is bundled with Standard Edition is all you need.
Re: Oracle Streams vs SharePlex [message #521733 is a reply to message #521726] Thu, 01 September 2011 10:32 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
You can go across versions no problem

Unless you use unsupported or unknown datatype in one of the versions.

Quote:
This may be why the Oracle sales droids tell you to use it instead of Streams

Or maybe this is because they want to leave it and it didn't really work in real production environment.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: dbms_job
Next Topic: Replicate "A" schema objects to "B" schema
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:06:24 CDT 2024