Home » Other » Community Hangout » Senior's first/early post
Senior's first/early post [message #329261] Tue, 24 June 2008 14:48 Go to next message
ehegagoka
Hi,

I'm just curious if the "big names" (i.e. the expert one's in this forum), (e.g. jrowbottom, frank, etc.) ever had their post's as "newbie" as the other questions posted in this forum. Or is they're first post's cannot be answered by a newbie. I'm just amazed, it's like they know everything =) Hope you understand my english. Thanks!

Regards,
Rhani
Re: Senior's first/early post [message #329281 is a reply to message #329261] Tue, 24 June 2008 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Don't know about the other Senior Members, but for my own part, I was using Oracle for a couple of years before Tim Berners-Lee invented the Internet. Back then, there were things called Bulletin Boards, but modems were the exclusive domain of Sysadmins and the like - not many programmers lucky enough to have one.

Long story short(er), many of us were beyond newbie-ism by the time we discovered the Internet - let alone OraFAQ.
Re: Senior's first/early post [message #329283 is a reply to message #329261] Tue, 24 June 2008 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>modems were the exclusive domain of Sysadmins and the like
Of course, some folks pre-date modems.
My 1st use of a modem was a 300 baud acoustic coupled Texas Instrument device.
I recall doing remote software development over a 2400 baud modem to a CRAY Supercomputer located at an Air Force Base in NM.
In both cases these were years before the WWW existed.

GOLLY, Now I remember why I feel so old at times.

Here is a warning for the young ones on this forum.
As folks grow older, your memory is the 2nd of your faculties to start to fail & I don't recall which is the first to fail.
Re: Senior's first/early post [message #329349 is a reply to message #329283] Wed, 25 June 2008 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Quote:
As folks grow older, your memory is the 2nd of your faculties to start to fail & I don't recall which is the first to fail.

Laughing Thanks for the morning chortle Smile
Re: Senior's first/early post [message #329501 is a reply to message #329349] Wed, 25 June 2008 10:47 Go to previous message
ehegagoka
hi, thank you so much for the replies =) i guess most of the admin's here started in this forum as an expert c",)

hmmmm modem's? i think in our country we only had "home-internet" since 1997, not all people (i.e. only rich one's had access to internet). it is just start of 2000's era that internet on our country became such a bang. dsl's are not yet available on home's they just had "pre-paid cards" for modem connection, it's like you buy a card for 8-10 hours of usage.

year's of experience really does make a difference c",)
Previous Topic: Just Joined
Next Topic: I'm deficient!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 10:51:54 CDT 2024