Home » Infrastructure » Windows » tns error (Oracle 9i, Windows XP)
tns error [message #318679] Wed, 07 May 2008 09:58 Go to next message
vamsikgummadi
Hi,
I have installed Oracle 9i in my system. At the time of installation a window popped up saying 'TNS listner could not be started...'. But the installation of Oracle is successful.

Later I tried to connect to Oracle using scott/tiger@oracle from SQL*Plus but I am not successfull. Later I have started 'TNS Listner' in services using control panel. When I again tried to login I am successful and I am able to do some work. After 4-5 minutes a window is being poped up and saying 'TNS Listener is shutting down due to ....'. Later when I am trying to connect or retrieve some data from database I am unable to do that because TNS lost contact (or) TNS is not started up.
In my system I have AVAST antivirus installed. Is it due to this antivirus software I am receiving this problem or due to some thing else.

Shall I uninstall the Oracle and install it once again.

Can this problem be solved with out uninstalling the existing installation. If so how could that be done? Let me know if some other information is required like tnsnames.ora, listner information ... so that I can post the entire details if required.

Hope you could help me out as early as possible.
Thanks and regards,
Vamsi K Gummadi

[EDITED by LF: removed unnecessary empty lines]

[Updated on: Wed, 07 May 2008 16:05] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: tns error [message #318694 is a reply to message #318679] Wed, 07 May 2008 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Congratulations.

Quote:

'TNS Listener is shutting down due to ....'

You managed you leave out the most important part of the error message. The part that would actually make it possible for someone to help you.

Re: tns error [message #318733 is a reply to message #318679] Wed, 07 May 2008 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I don't think Avast is a problem; I use it and my Oracle 10g (I know, yours is 9i) works just fine.
Re: tns error update [message #318790 is a reply to message #318679] Thu, 08 May 2008 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vamsikgummadi
Hi friends,
Sorry for the delay in providing you with the updates of error details. Actually due to some work pressure there was a delay in mailing it to you.

Actually when installing Oracle I am receiving the following error.
TNSLSNR.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close.

And a window is popping up prompting to ' Send Error Report'. When I click on the link to know some more about error details I am being shown 'Error signature'

szAppName : TNSLSNR.EXE 
szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 
szModName :orantcp9.dll
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 
offset : 00005732

followedby some error details and if I try to view the technical information using the link provided then I see ' Error Report Contents'
C:\DOCUME~1\VAMSIG~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\WER7697.dir00\TNSLSNR.EXE.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\VAMSIG~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\WER7697.dir00\appcompat.txt

If I continue with the installation process then at the end of installation I get message 'The installation of Oracle 9i Database was successful'

After the installation if I try to access the data base from SCOTT schema after providing 'user name' 'password' and 'host string' I am getting an error
ORA-12541: TNS:no listner

If now I go to the services in control panel and start 'OracleOraHome92TNSListener' and now if I try to login I am able to login successfully and do the jobs I want to do. But after some time the same error is popping up saying that
TNSLSNR.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close

and after that I once again need to restart the same service to work with Oracle. I want to get rid of this problem at the earliest.

I have google for this error and found out that these links may be helpful to you in helping me out and the links are as follows

http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=744482
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Database/Oracle/Q_21380043.html

I request you to please delve into this problem at the earliest and help me out in coming out with a possible solution.

Hope you would do the necessary.
Thanks and regards,
Vamsi K Gummadi.
Re: tns error update [message #318797 is a reply to message #318790] Thu, 08 May 2008 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
9i is desupported; would it be possible to install another Oracle database version (for example, 10g R2 or even 11g, which are certified with MS Windows XP)?

I'm sorry, but I have zero experience with 9i on XP; *perhaps* reinstalling the software might help, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Re: tns error update [message #318806 is a reply to message #318797] Thu, 08 May 2008 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Make sure your Windows is XP Pro.
Oracle server does not work on Home/Standard edition.

Regards
Michel
Re: tns error [message #318895 is a reply to message #318679] Thu, 08 May 2008 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vamsikgummadi
Hi,
My thanks to Michel and Littlefoot for their valuable suggestions and hints.
As Littlefoot said it may not be like that 'Oracle 9i is desupported on Windows XP'(he said he was not sure..I agree) because I have many other systems on which I have installed Oracle 9i and whose operating system is Windows XP. But as Little foot said I have uninstalled Oracle9i existing version and again installed the same version and the magic is it now works better than before. That is though the problem is not completly solved atleast now I am having a chance to work with the database for some more time before the TNSLSNR problem is being raised.
Michel may be right in saying that 'Make sure your Windows is XP Pro,Oracle server does not work on Home/Standard edition'. But I am using the Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version with Service Pack 2 and hence I see no issues with the OS being specified by Cadot.
So, I request you to once again delve into the problem and help me out in getting a permanent solution to this problem.
Thanks,
Vamsi K Gummadi
Re: tns error [message #318915 is a reply to message #318895] Thu, 08 May 2008 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
What's the problem now? As far as I understood what you were saying, database works correctly. However, this
Quote:
it now works better than before. That is though the problem is not completly solved
is doubtful; what does it, actually, mean? What is "better than before" and "not completely solved"?
Re: tns error [message #318923 is a reply to message #318679] Thu, 08 May 2008 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vamsikgummadi
Hi Littlefoot,
I mean to say that if earlier I used to get this error for every 5 minutes now I am getting the same error for every 10 minutes. I exactly mean to say the frequency of the problem being occured is reduced but not completly eliminated.
Thanks and regards,
Vamsi K Gummadi.
Re: tns error [message #319714 is a reply to message #318679] Mon, 12 May 2008 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vamsikgummadi
HI,
Have any one of you got the soluton for this problem?
If so please get back and one more thing I have observed is if at the time of installation I have 67GB of free space available n hard disk the disk size is gradually decreasing each time I start the Oracle Service or TNS listner and my hard disk space is shown as critical with no space available. Pls..pls help me out in solving this problem.
Thanks and regards,
Vamsi K Gummadi.
Re: tns error [message #319905 is a reply to message #319714] Tue, 13 May 2008 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
msmallya
vamsikgummadi wrote on Tue, 13 May 2008 01:36
my hard disk space is shown as critical with no space available. Pls..pls help me out in solving this problem.

This is not a solution to Listener problem. But
Clean up ORACLE_HOME/network/log/listener.log - it may be eating the space on your hard disk.

Regards,

MSMallya
Re: tns error is now resolved [message #320052 is a reply to message #318679] Tue, 13 May 2008 21:04 Go to previous message
vamsikgummadi
Hi Friends,
As MSMallya said it may be due to the log files but I didn't have the chance of checking it because I have reformatted the system.

Now the problem is resolved. I think it may be due to the default installations ( security installations...) that come with Dell Latitude 630 ( hope it may also be with some other laptop series) this prolem arises.

As per my experience I can say that this problem can be solved by
1.removing the anti-virus installtions if any and installing Oracle software
2.( or) reformatting the system and installing Oracle immediately after installing Windows XP.Install Oracle immediatly before installing any other programs as this may avoid some complexity.
3. Upgrading the Windows XP installation and installing Oracle on it.

I thank all my friends in this forum who tried to help one way or the other in solving the issue with their valuable suggestions and hope this tempo continue in our beloved site www.orafaq.com.
Thanks and Regards,
Vamsi K Gummadi.
Previous Topic: What does "advanced" mean in "Advanced Server 2003"?
Next Topic: Unable to run Oracle Application devoped in 10g on windows vista
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:41:34 CDT 2024